[C320-list] Boat Insurance

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 5 13:13:55 PST 2013

Irv, after Irene BoatUS got very pricy.  A couple of years ago I started
with Erie Insurance for which I pay about $450/yr.  BoatUS has become more
reasonable lately; but, they want a survey before they will cover.  The
Survey was more than I would save.  Plus, BoatUS restricts me to the
Chesapeake, requiring a waiver to go beyond.  Also, they want the boat
pulled ahead of a named storm.  Overall, it was a more expensive policy than
just the premiums.

Erie (I have no interest in the company,) offered broader coverage and, I
think, a disappearing deductable.  There are difference to be aware of.
I.e., Erie covers the hull and engine separately for some reason; and
includes the dinghy and motor in the coverage (as I remember.)  I've not had
a boat claim with Erie; but, I currently have a home claim open and they
have been very professional in servicing that claim.

I believe they only do business in the East.

Warren & Pattie Updike
1994 C320 #62 "Warr De Mar"