[C320-list] Lewmar Winch Maintenance

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 26 13:17:38 PST 2013

Gary they are 30 and 44. These things are a fine example of superior design
and manufacturing.  They can be disassembled with nothing more than a screw
driver.

If they have not been maintained, it's best if you remove all the grease and
start over. I've found that liquid paraffin (clear lamp oil) is good for
removing the grease and leaving the parts clean. Take note of the order of
parts as it can be a pain to reassemble if you don't remember which assembly
goes where and what's up vs. down.  Or, remove the drum from both and do one
at a time. That way you'll have a model to look at.  Do not use grease on
the pawls and springs, only machine oil. Grease will interfere with the
operation of the pawls.

Warren & Pattie Updike
1994 C320 #62 "Warr De Mar"