[C320-list] Lightening

Jane & Ken obuoy4848 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 11 15:37:24 PDT 2013

Three years ago, my friend was asleep in his main cabin when a lightening storm moved across our marina.  GREATEST (worse) lightening I have experienced---OKLA/TEX area.  The corona arcs were flashing (discharging) from every antenna I could see.  My friends mast was hit, arcs spread to several nearby masts and the noise from the strike was deafening--the flash was so bright it hurt my eyes.
He was tossed out of his berth, electronics were burnt and exploded throughout the boat--nothing was spared, smoke filled the cabin and the area around the boat slip. The mast had charred strips up and down, but he was uninjured.  His pants were soiled though.
No 'real' damage to the structure, only $ 108,000 to replace the electronics--Lesson: you never know.