[C320-list] Lightening

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Thu Jul 11 18:56:45 PDT 2013

We've been through quite a few lightning storms on our boat.  Sometimes we
just hang out in the cockpit near the companionway, but the Vberth and aft
cabin are comfortable places to hang out and wait for it to pass.  Both are
reasonably quick to exit if necessary but don't have any chain plates to
worry about.

If you think about it, lightning is just dependent on too many factors that
are more significant than anything you can control.  The height of the mast
is only one drop in the bucket of factors that matter since lightning
discharge travels a huge distance and travels the path of highest
conductivity all along that route.   I'm not convinced that being close to a
taller mast makes any more difference than chance.  Catalina masts are not
grounded by design, other builders believe in grounding the mast.  Both
approaches try to make the mast less enticing, but there's really no
evidence that either approach really matters since we're talking about
effectively 40' out of a 3-20 mile lightning path to ground.  If the road
leads to/from your mast, it isn't going to matter whether there's a taller
mast 30' away or not.

Incidentally (and somewhat off topic) if you look at
http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/ and turn on "Lightning" mode, you'll
see different [+] and [-] icons in stormy areas representing whether there
is a buildup of Positive charge or Negative charges in the clouds.  It
indicates whether there is + or - charged cloud to cloud lightning, or + or
- charged Cloud to Ground lightning.  They have a very cool free mobile app
I use to watch for electrical storms approaching.

-Jeff Hare
Woodbine II #809