[C320-list] Shore power system

Ron Squires rsquires77 at netzero.com
Tue Jul 23 06:59:23 PDT 2013

Scott,
I agree with you about the latent danger in having neutral and safety ground buses connected onboard a boat. Every reference I could find on the topic echoed the same advise. Since the installation appears to be original, the only scenario that makes any sense to me is that the jumper that that should have been removed to split the bus bar wasn't taken out. And then the boat was never connected to a GFCI source, until now.
As to the point you brought up about the RCI test switch being shown as a dead short on the '99 schematic, I noticed that as well. The '93 schematic and actual layout does not have the test switch. The RCI light is simply connected between the neutral and safety ground wires at the shore power inlet breaker. Granted there is no way to know if the RCI light is working until you get an actual reverse current hookup condition. And if the light is nonfunctional, you wouldn't realize the condition until you check the RCI on the main panel.

Ron & Michelle
#26 1994 "Island Time"

_/) Sent from my iPhone 5