[C320-list] stern line

Utility Email kswanson123 at comcast.net
Mon Jun 3 21:57:57 PDT 2013

I have not done this, however, I have seen other sailors and power boaters use a plastic hose reel (Suncast) mounted on their stern pulpit to payout and retrieve this much poly stern tie line.  I have seen the big hose reels on the stern of larger trawlers and the small side-mounted ones on smaller boats.  Overall, this is a pretty cost-effective and elegant solution.  The plastic hose reel is non-corrosive and cheap and does well to wind in the long stern tie line.

Normally, when we take our boat to Desolation Sound and need this much stern-tie line to alow us to anchor in deep water, I ususally just pay out the line from a 1-inch SS pipe fittng that I temporarily mount the wood spool of polypropolene stern line on and then spool it up by hand.  I typicall stow our spool of poly stern-tie line in our cockpit locker.  This set up is a bit of a hassle.

Next time we head up to Desolation Sound and/or Princess Louisa Inlet, I will probably buy a plastic garden hose reel (the smaller side mouted type), and connect some white plastic 1-inch rail mounts to it so I can attach the hose reel/stern line combo to my stern pulpit when I need to use it regulary for anchoring  Then just remove it and stow it in the cockput locker for the rest of the trip when it is not needed.

I have also seen custom SS fabricared stern tie line reels, hoeverm these are very expensive, heavy and seem better suited to permanent mounting on larger power boats.

Hope this helps.

Dave

David Swanson
S/V Emily Ann