[C320-list] Air Conditioning

Allan S Field allan.field at verizon.net
Wed Jun 5 12:10:19 PDT 2013

Kirk - We went with Annapolis CruisAir about 10 years ago and have never had
a problem with the unit.  We went with a 12,000 BTU unit.  The compressor is
in the port side locker.  The outflow vent is above and to port of the
cabinet above the refrigerator.  The return is at the foot of the aft cabin
bunk.  The pump and water inflow thru-hull are under the aft cabin bunk
close to the fresh water pump.

When it gets really hot, like over 95 degrees, we close off the V-berth. (We
removed the aft cabin door years ago.)  But the A/C will cool the boat down
even on those days with the V-berth cabin door open.  It just won't get it
much below about 72 when the sun is shining brightly and it's over 95.  We
recently bought the Hatch-Hoodie to put over the forward hatch but have not
yet tried it out on the really hot days.  Regardless, very few people, other
than our grandsons when they were younger, ever sleep in the V-berth.

We had a choice between a 16,000 BTU system (which we looked at on another
C320) and the 12,000.  The 16,000 is a "split-system" meaning there are 2
compressor units and it takes up  a lot of space, plus needs ducts.  We have
never regretted going with the 12,000.  As for the head, several years ago
we put a hook-and-eye on the door with the eye on the inside frame and the
hook on the inside of the door so we can prop the door open a few inches
when we are off the boat plus cool or warm the head when the AC/heat pump is
running.

This upgrade was the best thing we ever did on the boat.  It really turned
the boat into a summer home for us with a view that if we get tired of, we
can change!  The heating cycle also opens up March and November for staying
on the boat.  August is not a particularly sailor-friendly month on the
Chesapeake but that does not stop us from going down to the boat for the
weekend.

Hope this helps!

Allan S. Field
Sea Shadow - #808