[C320-list] reefing system

Allan S Field allan.field at verizon.net
Sat Jun 8 03:45:41 PDT 2013

Sorry to come in so late on this...  I also many years ago attached a block
to the reef point on the main, thinking it would make reefing easier.  It
did.  However...as the boat rocked back and forth in the slip, within about
2 years, the block started to chafe through the sail to the point that I had
a hole in the sail.  The block was removed and the main patched.  I then
installed a block at the mast base.  My reefing line now runs from the clew,
through the boom, down through the block at the mast base, up through the
cringle on the main, back down to the factory installed block at the base of
the mast, and back through the traveler and rope clutch to the main cabin.
I actually have 2 reef points on the main thus everything described above is
duplicated.

When reefing, I reef the 155 genoa at about 17 or above apparent.  North
Sails put a rope luff in our new genoa which helps the sail maintain its
shaped much better when reefed.  We also have the Garhauer adjustable fair
leads so use them also.

When we need to take a reef, I have this drill down to just about a minute.
I come up close hauled, let the main all the way out until it is just
luffing and we are sailing on the genoa alone.  The boat slows down and
comes up almost level.  I let the main halyard down enough to take the reef.
I pull in the first reef line and crank it tight.  I pull the main halyard
back up.  I then pull the main back to where it should be and I'm done.  If
close hauled is not the desired point of sail after taking the reef, I
adjust the genoa, track car and main and we are done.

Hope this helps the discussion!

Allan S. Field
Sea Shadow - #808
Columbia, MD