[C320-list] Changing Oil in the Perkins M30

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 11 13:46:36 PDT 2013

Greg, I have no problem extracting the oil. I use the tube on the starboard
side of the engine ahead of the oil filter. The trick may be to not use a
flexible dip-stick hose but a threaded/barb.  Screw the barb into the tube
and push the hose on the barb. You can use any type of pump appropriate for
oil.
I have hand pump from WM that is light and all plastic.  I always get at
least 3-1/2 qts out, usually more. It probably depends on how much oil has
been burned.
HarborFreight.com has an electric pump kit #66784 for $130, or just a simple
pump #9576 for $30.  You'll spend just a much for a hand pump.
Now, changing the oil is a different matter. I've tried several
recommendations and still make a mess.  Mounting an oil filter horizontally
in a tight space is a sin.  I've looked for remote oil filter kits, but
can't figure out where to mount the ^%$^*(  thing in the engine space. Any
ideas on this task will be appreciated by all we Perkins owners.

Warren & Pattie Updike
1994 C320 #62 "Warr De Mar"