[C320-list] aerial flares - interesting fact

Chris Burti clburti at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 20:37:54 PDT 2013

I did the same test two years ago. All tested flares were over five
years out of date. I carefully inspected every tested flares and
separated them into three arbitrary groups. First group showed no
degradation whatsoever. Second group showed tarnished or oxidized base,
but no degradation of the shell tube. Third group showed degradation of
the tube.

No failures in first group of ten. Second group of five had one failure
as described by Alan. Third group of seven all failed but one. Two of
those did as Alan described, the rest were duds. The one that fired
appeared weak

I used a portable propane torch to 'neutralize' all flares prior to
disposal (fire department).

Now I only keep flares that appear as new, in a container marked
EXPIRED. I'm thinking of getting a metal ammunition can. In the event
of an 'incident', the hot metal slag generated would burn through my
current plastic cases in no time if the flares didn't.
Thanks, Chris Burti From: Alan Goodman