[C320-list] Mast Sail Gate Screws

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Sat Mar 2 10:50:23 PST 2013

Hi All,

I'll offer this tip (procedure) for our approach to dealing with the Mast
Gate screws.

Issue:
- Stock Thumb Screws are not an easily found thread pitch.
- Ours once got damaged with a sail's slug webbing getting snagged during
raising the main.
- Dropping one over the side seems to be my favorite past time.

The Solution was to re-tap the screw holes to fit threads pitch and diameter
I know I'll always have on hand.

So, Each spring we replace the 2 bullet Shaft Zincs with new ones.  Each of
these has a pair of small SS knurled Allen Head bolts.  This is a perfect
size and thread pitch for the job.  I always take these out and toss them
into my SS nut/bolt organizer so I'm sure to have backups.

I add a drop "Tef-Gel" anti-corrosion grease on the threads so they'll never
seize up on me.  I can pretty easily unscrew and tighten them by hand.
While I sometimes need it, I have a small SS Allen wrench clipped out of the
way on the mast in case to use if I need it.  The benefit is that I can get
mast gate perfectly aligned and tighten them so that it doesn't move.

It was a great tweak for us.  I've lost several gate screws over the past 11
years but it's no longer any issue whatsovever.

-Jeff

PS:  Each spring/fall after commissioning/decommissioning I take a stroll
around the boatyard and collect all the stray stainless steel nuts bolts,
screws washers, etc. that are lying on the ground.  It pretty much keeps my
Stainless Steel spare parts box full.