[C320-list] Inverter Installation

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 8 13:20:38 PST 2013

>From what I see, inverters up to about 400W can be plugged in with a
standard 12V plug.  Above that, most call for a directly wired connection to
the battery.  I think it's an issue of power and wire size.  That is a 1,000
or 2,000W inverter could draw more amperage to an appliance than the small
wires in a typical 12V circuit can handle.  Otherwise, I think that properly
sized cables as short as possible directly connected to the battery is
probably the best.  The inverter instructions should explain how to connect
it.

I can definitely tell you to not try to power the boat's AC outlets by using
a double-plug cord and plugging into an outlet. Apparently, GFCI outlets
don't like power coming in that way.  Also, the transformer in my 18 year
old microwave was fried, so maybe they don't much like the modified sine
wave either.

I don't think the inverters like it when they are live to the AC outlets and
you connect to shore power.  I don't know the details this stuff as I
haven't tried to use a large inverter.  My advice would be to consult with a
marine electrician or a knowledgeable person you trust.

I'm sure there are those of us that would like to know what you find out.
Please let us know.

Warren & Pattie Updike
1994 C320 #62 "Warr De Mar"