[C320-list] Upwind performance

Andrew Santangelo andrew_santangelo at mac.com
Thu Mar 14 12:56:47 PDT 2013

I can speak with experience on this topic.  Originally Dawn Treader had the Wing Keel.  It was fine for cruising and all, but we did seem to be disadvantaged with the wing keel racing wise.

Three years later I had the wing keel removed, and the fin keel installed.  The difference was profound.

I could point substantially better (I want to say up to a +10 deg improvement), and she was certainly quicker on all points of sail.  Carrying less weight certainly did help.

Our PHRF way back when changed from 156 to 150, but then it was upped back to 156!  Basically a sailor was punished with the wing keel.  Once this move was made - along with the hydraulic backstay, auto prop, racing sails, etc. we placed or won in almost every race series.  Our last big race before moving to SFO was the Queen's Cup and we placed 3rd in our division.  C320 is a very competitive boat.  Another C320 seemed to win it almost all the time.

And yes, Dawn Treader is moving back to the Great Lakes this summer, and I hope to be racing again this fall out of Holland again.

FYI - with the fin keel DO MIND the depth!

Andrew Santangelo

C320 "Dawn Treader"
San Francisco, CA

J22 "Blitzkrieg"