[C320-list] Shaft Misalighment

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Sun Mar 24 15:29:06 PDT 2013

It would be helpful to take a shot from in front of where the shaft exits
and facing aft.  Directly in line with the shaft/rudder so that we can see
what you think is out of alignment.

It could be that the engine mounts are not adjusted correctly and the engine
is offset slightly to the starboard and not properly angled/aligned.

It may be that the shaft has a *very* slight bow to it.  Turn it slowly and
check where the shaft exits the hull and see if it is in line or not.  If it
has a slight bow (or the couplings aren't perfectly aligned), the shaft can
whip a bit when the prop is under load.

There is a REALLY GOOD prop shaft alignment procedure on the C320 website.
I did it once or twice the "recommended" way and was never very satisfied
and it took a long time.  I did it using the procedure from our website and
it didn't take nearly as long and was much closer than it had ever been.

My $0.02
-Jeff