[C320-list] Documentation Number Placement

Jeffrey Kapec jkapec at tkdg.com
Fri May 24 12:54:30 PDT 2013

Hello Doug:

I have my federal documentation numbers (black vinyl and 2.5
inches high) mounted to a thin rigid white plastic sheet
with a clear overlay heat laminated to seal the numbers and
protect them.  I mounted that assembly rather neatly right
inside the electrical panel screwed into the interior
liner.  There is ample room to place them above the wiring.
Just open the panel door to present the numbers.

It was fine with the Coast Guard.

Several years ago I was sailing about 2 miles offshore (off
Boston Harbor) with small craft advisory conditions ( a
licensed captain was joining me for a long haul to
Connecticut ).  We were one of two boat out early morning in
that weather and I was hailed by the Coast Guard.  They were
a little dot a mile away when I was hailed on channel 16 for
a "routine safety inspection".  They came up quickly with 7
crew on their fast inflatable. We tied up to their craft so
they could board. The two boats were rocking and shaking in
3 ft swells as they boarded.  Checked everything and I
presented the documentation numbers in that location and
they were fine with it.  Passed  inspection no problem but
one of the trainees who boarded  came down below to look at
my papers and could not take the seaway below deck and ran
up the companionway leavening some of his breakfast topsides
on my gunnel.  I gave him some ginger ale to sooth his
stomach and we bid adieu.

Jeff Kapec
Petite Suite 718