[C320-list] Rigging/tuning

Chris Burti clburti at gmail.com
Tue May 14 13:02:28 PDT 2013

David,
My answer as follows is to your implicit question, if not the one you asked.

Rigging stetches whether you sail your boat hard or sail it not at
all, it is just the plain nature of wire. Adjusting to last year's
marks is like topping off your oil instead of changing it.

Rigging should be tuned for your rig and your sails. It doesn't matter
whether you just race, just cruise or both. It is either right or it
isn't. If it isn't, you go slow and can't point well on a beat.

As to the question of should you trust your yard to get it right?
Mwahahahahaha..... Well...hmmm maybe at a few yards that have a
competent rigger and charge you for it.

DIY? I do, but I follow the pro's recommendations in the tech section
of the website. You have to plumb the mast first or the boat will
always greatly favor one tack or the other. Most masts are not
actually located exactly on the centerline of the boat. That means you
have to get it plumb in relation to the deck, but you can't use the
old trick of measuring the legs the triangle from the top of the mast
to the base of the shrouds.

I prefer to use a plumb line hanging from a tang clamped to the
centerline of the mast about 15 feet up swinging across a centerline
mark measured on a strip of tape on the deck. Halyards won't work well
because they aren't centered and it is hard to measure the offset
pecisely.

Once you have the main shrouds equivilent at 80% tension with the mast
plumb, you can bring the rig into tune and the mast will stay centerd.
Once the shrouds are tuned, you have to sail her in varying wind
conditions to custom tune your mast rake for your sails and your
she won't head up on her own at all.

fair winds
cb
Commitment #867