[C320-list] Leak into aft cabin via steering box

Colin Evans twosailors at bigpond.com
Tue May 14 14:29:56 PDT 2013

 Graeme,
We had the same problem.  It was twofold.  The cover over the compass was
leaking which I think I fixed by using a clear sealant.
The other problem was the hole where the throttle cables pass through the
deck. Yours is an earlier boat than our so you may have separate throttle/
gear levers whereas we only have one to do both jobs.  It`s on the Stb`d
side of the binnacle.
I took off the deck fitting and filled it with sealant.  That seemed to
solve that problem.  The other thing I did was put a small amount of sealant
around bottom an a bit up the sides of the cover inside the aft cabin, so
that if any water did get in it didn`t leak into the cabin, but if it filled
up enough it went out through the drain in the aft bulkhead.  Aha!!! you
might say, don`t fancy having water slopping around inside that cover.
Neither did I so I put a 150mm inspection cover in it so I can check for
water and get my hand in to sponge any out.
Regards
Colin Evans
Watermark
2000 C320 # 774