[C320-list] AtoProp Feedback

resloat resloat at comcast.net
Thu May 16 15:55:20 PDT 2013

Brian-I echo Andrew previous post.

I installed an AutoProp on Hull 894 (2002) in 2004.  I used a shaft spacer
ordered from Spurs in Fort Lauderdale , FL.  I is solid steel.  I checked to
see if you can get those soft couplers and none come in a thickness as small
as I needed.  You need to give them a lot of info on your shaft and coupling
size and design.  The key was to add enough space to prevent the blade from
touching the strut when they flip from forward to reverse.  I don't think
this is a problem as you stop the blade when in neutral before shifting
gears and any contact is glancing.  The folks at AB Marine who are the US
distributor told me to get a shaft spacer. Mine was 5/8' thick, but you need
to do some figuring to see what spacer thickness is needed for the swinging
blade (from forward to reverse position) to clear the strut and still keep
the length from the back of the strut to the front of the prop less than the
recommended 1.5" to keep the shaft from deflecting and inducing additional
vibration. Make sure you add 1/16" to the shaft spacer thickness you design
because when you install the prop the prop nut on tightening will move the
prop forward ever so slightly.

Also, Spurs will sell you longer bolts with nuts in the correct diameter.
You might want to do some searching to figure out how to redo the safety
wiring on the coupler nuts in the aircraft mechanic mode as the originals on
mine were.  I reused the safety wire installed by the factory.

I also installed the Gortex packing in the shaft packing gland and have
basically a dripless system for about $16 and a little labor.  It was the
best bang for the marine buck ever spent.  My owners manual gives the
packing spec as 3/16" but measured mine at 1/4" using common drills as a
gauge.  Only two wraps of the Gortex would fit on the initial install and
the next season I added the third wrap.

Bob Sloat