[C320-list] winches

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Fri May 17 06:06:26 PDT 2013

This is for Arthur Miller and others re. the turning blocks for the primary
winches.

Following applies to the stbd turning block.  The port block is easily
accessible from the port cockpit locker.

I had no trouble removing the screws with a large screwdriver that fit the
Phillips screw head perfectly.  You may need a little help with pliers to
start.

I found the block was bedded by Catalina with silicone, so that is what I
will use.

I assume the backing is a tapped plate.  The threads all seem to be found
about ½” below the surface.  While Catalina designs are good, cheap assembly
labor may work against the quality as I found the screws were each different
lengths.  One was so long that it protruded the deck into the space between
the deck and liner.

Re-assembly should be fast and easy.  Be sure to give the screws an extra
shot of bedding just before seating them.

Any advice/suggestions from the list will be appreciated.

Warren & Pattie Updike

1994 C320 #62 "Warr De Mar"