[C320-list] Removing the Maxwell 500

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Sat May 18 12:54:19 PDT 2013

Scott is quite right.  When I pulled our VC500, the drum wouldn't come off.
18 year-old grease probably holding it on.  I used a 3-leg puller
(HarborFreight.com) to coax it loose.  (Similar to pulling a prop.)  The
unit cannot be removed without removing the drum.
My problem was corroded contacts and fried brushes.  The winch pulls a lot
of current, maybe as much as the starter, and dirty contacts will cause
excessive heat.  I took the unit to a repair shop and they were able to
replace the brushes and the burned contact.  Works well ever since.
Even if you don't pull the unit, it's a good idea to check the contacts
whenever you have the space open.  Even dress them with a dielectric grease
to prevent corrosion.
BTW, I changed the gear oil while it was out.  Maxwell recommends the drum
shaft be greased every year and the oil changed every 3.  I'll take bets
that there is no 320 following that schedule.

Warren & Pattie Updike
1994 C320 #62 "Warr De Mar"