[C320-list] Documentation number location

Karl Mielenhausen kmielen at suddenlink.net
Thu May 23 09:53:40 PDT 2013

Doug,

I am a vessel examiner for USCG vessel safety checks. We are taught to look
for the visible documentation number as you have described the regulation
below. Usually, we (I) don't get that hung up on the "block-type Arabic" or
3". An example (my boat) can be seen in this link...
http://www.catalina320.com/mediagallery/media.php?f=0&sort=0&s=20081116142212466
Note that I don't have the "No." preceding the numeral either... no room.

We do, however, recommend that the documentation number also be placed in a
less noticeable, even hidden, location. That might aid in identifying
and/or recovering the vessel should someone chose to grind out the HIN.

Frankly, with all the environmental and safety items we inspect for, we
tend to get a little lax on numerals. Just look at all the state
registration number violations (color, font, size, etc) that get overlooked
during vessel safety checks.

Karl