[C320-list] Sterngland adjustment question

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at bex.net
Thu May 30 18:29:56 PDT 2013

Graeme,
I have used  adjustable wrenches over the past 18 seasons with no issues.
There are some inexpensive horseshoe type adjustable wrenches available at
some hardware stores that reach deeper than using a pipe wrench. But, even
the cheaper low quality china manufactured pipe wrenches will also work as
long as you can open up the jaw to 2 inches and then adjust the jaw to snug
against the hex nut.

Only need to snug the packing nut against the narrower locking nut ring. Do
not need to over tighten the metal gland which I believe is brass, so it is
already rather soft by its very nature. If the drip rate is too fast, just
release the ring nut that  is jammed against the larger packing nut and
crank another 1/4 turn on the packing nut and then lock-in the narrower
locking ring nut against the packing nut. Usually I retighten the nut at the
beginning of each season, but having installed Gortex packing last season,
no adjustment was necessary at the beginning of this season.

Rick
1995 320 #277