[C320-list] Prop shaft packing

resloat resloat at comcast.net
Mon Nov 11 19:48:55 PST 2013

Jerry-Rather than putting up with the dripping on my hull 894 (2002), I
replaced the OEM flax packing with GFO packing which is uses some form of
Gortex and looks like the original packing in your boat. You will end up
with basically a drip less seal by just changing out the packing. You might
get a tablespoon of water under the packing gland on occasion, but for me
there is no leakage most all the time when motoring or at the dock.  I did
this many years ago and it is the best $18 investment made on the boat.  I
did the switch over on the tarmac before launch.

Packing size for my boat is 1/4 inch even though my owner's manual says it
is 3/16
inch.  The size to use depending on the space between the shaft and
the inside of the stuffing box.  One of the GFO suppliers site said to
measured for the size needed by unscrewing the gland nut and finding a drill
size (1/4 "in my case) that snuggly fit in the space between the shaft and
the stuffing box.  I bought the GFO packing from http://www.emarineinc.com.

Pick out the old stuff, clean off the shaft and install the new packing.  I
could only get 2 layers of packing on the first year and added a third the
next year.  You have to cut the packing very carefully to make a ring around
the 1 inch shaft so the ends of the ring meet smoothly without any gaps.

Bob Sloat
Savannah 894 (2002)