[C320-list] Prop shaft packing

Stephen Cox scox at timmin.com
Tue Nov 12 21:06:23 PST 2013

> Just curious. Has about done this while the boat is still in
> the water?  Some of my sailing friends say they have done it.
>  I think that it is risky.  Any advise is appreciated.

Yes, I have done it.  Replaced the packing on the dry but I didn't do it
correctly so I resolved to have a go in the water rather than pay for
another haul out.  Scary as I undid the fittings for the first time but it
turned out to be no great deal.  I had a towelling washer to wrap around and
push into the gap to let me fiddle for quite some while but without this the
flow was not as great as you may anticipate.  As a precaution I did check my
bilge pump was working before I started but the boat was never in danger of
sinking.

Stephen Cox
Tegwen #1141