[C320-list] Spinnaker

clburti at gmail.com clburti at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 20:56:20 PST 2013

Capt. Diane,

The small track is for inboard sheeting of a blade (90%-100% full height jib) or a working jib. It would also serve as a decent location for your downhaul block for your spinnaker pole. We also keep a Spinnaker pole ring slide on the starboard one and use it as a keeper for our spinnaker and main halyards.

If everything is lightly used, of good quality, of recent technology, properly sized for C-320 and in excellent shape, $1200 would be a very good price in my opinion. As you start moving away from those criteria, the value diminishes pretty rapidly. If you not in a hurry, there are always good deals coming along for the patient.

I flew one non-racing on our old IOR racer, a Cal 27-T/2…primarily because we like to go fast…it was an old rag of a sail and I finally blew it out…literally. But I did not have secondary winches and I could fly it solo in up to 10-12 knots. Trimming and steering gets a bit dicey without crew after that. We now fly an asymmetrical on our C-320 because she  is a bit of pig downwind in light air and…we like to go fast…Stock winches and no pole. She really won’t perform well dead downwind and we’ll obtain a higher VMG.

Last comment…I’ll bite … were you being literal about crewing “2 more wenches” to help fly the spinnaker… 😉

Fair Winds
Chris Burti
Commitment
Catalina 320, #867