[C320-list] Strut

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 26 12:47:17 PST 2013

I was under the impression (perhaps incorrectly) that there is no bonding
circuit on Catalina boats, there being no need since all thru-hulls are
Marelon plastic. The electrical system is grounded on the engine, and the AC
ground should be bridged to the DC ground.

I thought galvanic corrosion is only an issue where there is exposed
underwater metal: shaft, prop, etc.  If the strut is well covered with
bottom paint is there still a risk of corrosion?  Anyone know?

The bonding issue, like the lightening protection issue is one on which
there are different opinions. With non-metallic hulls (fiberglass) and
thru-hulls, and barrier coated lead keel it seems there is no need for
bonding.

Warren & Pattie Updike
1994 C320 #62 "Warr De Mar"