[C320-list] Autopilot

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 26 12:59:18 PST 2013

The answer may depend on which version of the wheel pilot you have. I
switched from the original Autohelm unit (black ring)to the newer Raymarine
(gray ring) recently and found that: the original pin was usable where it
was but I had to lengthen the hole in the ring very slightly; the unit is
slightly larger and had to be rotated about 180 degrees so that the drive
motor is on the left side of the pedestal (fortunately, the wire was just
long enough to reach.) Having done that, it is a better device than the
older black model.

I remember discussions about the dash board being an issue and able to be
lowered to accommodate the new device. I was able to get around that. It's
also possible that different mechanics at Catalina mounted the dash board
higher or lower than others thus creating the problem.

Warren & Pattie Updike
1994 C320 #62 "Warr De Mar"