[C320-list] Heat exchanger core and mixing elbow

dprudden at comcast.net dprudden at comcast.net
Sun Oct 6 18:00:36 PDT 2013

I have a friend who has the same engine as me (and a lot of you), a 3gm30f. He works for a very reputable (and expensive) boat yard in Massachusetts. He says, and his yard agrees, that the mixing elbow should be replaced every 5 years and the heat exchanger core should be pulled and sent out to be properly descaled/cleaned every 5 years as preventative maintenance. I know there was a recent discussion about cleaning out the mixing elbow, and this is obviously more than that. Agree or disagree????? I sail in salt water. Does the number of hours used each year matter?

Thanks for the help and advice!

David Prudden