[C320-list] Antifreeze and Other Capacities

resloat resloat at comcast.net
Thu Oct 3 07:45:52 PDT 2013

The deal is 33.8 US ounces = 1 liter, so 3.4 liters is 115 ounces.  A US
gallon is 128 ounces. Having done that don't forget the water heater loop
mentioned later in this note.  A gallon of undiluted antifreeze is
sufficient to make up the 50% mixture for freezing protection.

Another capacity trick for the 3GM30F is the engine lubricant capacity is
2.6 l = 88 oz (2 qts + 24 oz) and the transmission capacity is 0.3 l = 10.1
oz.  Buying quarts of oil makes this ease to measure as they have ounce
graduations or equivalents on the container.  These are noted in my Yanmar
owners manual and on my maintenance log as they are easiully forgotten over
the time between oil changes.  The darn transmission oil dip stick is about
impossible to read so I just drain the transmission dry and add 10.1 oz of
oil, then do the measurement thing and notice that there is oil on the
dipstick.

Below is a copy of my 2005 note on changing the antifreeze in my 3GM30F IN
Hull 894 (2002):

Don't forget to empty the hot water heater coolant loop.

> I have hull 894 with a Yanmar 3GM30F engine and when changing the
> antifreeze
> I needed about 1.5 gallons of diluted DexCool at a 50% water ratio. The
> engine has a little less than 1 gallon of coolant capacity and the hot
> water
> heater loop has about 1/2 gallon of antifreeze capacity. If you just
> change
> out the engine antifreeze without dealing with the hot water heater loop,
> about 1/3 of the total coolant capacity has not been replaced.
>
> After draining the engine, remove one of the hot water tank hoses from the
> top front of the engine. Keep the 2 coolant drains on the engine open. Put
> on the radiator cap and put your finger over the opening on the engine
> where
> the hot water heater hose was connected. Clean off the hot water heater
> hose and then blow on the hose and the hot water heater loop is emptied
> (about 1/2 gallon).

Bob Sloat
Savannah 894 (2002)