[C320-list] Hoisting the main

Graeme Clark cg at skyflyer.co.uk
Mon Sep 9 15:24:16 PDT 2013

Had the same problem, tried everything including lubing the runners and track as far as we could.
At the end of the season we went up the mast and cleaned out the track with a rag and used a spray silicone lubricant. We also took out all the halyards for the winter and rethreaded them in the spring. No problems this season at all.

Whether that was because of a  misrouted halyard or the lubing I don't know!
Stating the obvious, but just in case, we also found that we can't raise the sail very far if we are anything other than directly into wind as the sideways pull on the runners (cars?) in the track makes them jam pretty quickly.

Other stuff that is probably obvious, but we sweat up the man with someone at the base of the mast pulling sideways on the halyard which exerts a load more force than winching with all the lost effort in friction around pulleys etc.

One other possible cause could be a sticking sheave in the masthead or one with bad bearings. It will turn easily enough until they pressure comes on then seizes.

My own view ws that it was gunk and crud in the track that gets forced up to the top every time the ail is raised but never brought down again when it is lowered.

Sorry can't be more specific, but theres a few ideas to be going on with!

Graeme
#303, 1996 - England

Message: 1