[C320-list] PROPANE VENT HOSE

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Wed Sep 11 06:30:56 PDT 2013

Hi John,

I suspect this won't completely solve the problem unless your thru-hull is
placed differently than ours.  It didn't on ours because it seems where our
vent is, the elbow ended up being angled like 45 degrees or so downward
because of the slope of the transom.  Our elbow always had enough water in
the crook to block the vent anyway so I went back to the straight one and
gave the 90 to a friend who needed it.

Here's a little anecdotal food for thought...

We recently (last couple years) had our Propane regulator start leaking
while on a trip.  Of course, the drain spent most of its time being blocked
with water like usual.  We usually just leave our propane tank on when we're
at the boat. (lazy or not successfully convincing Shelly to streak across
the cockpit to turn it on every morning, whatever :).  When the regulator
was leaking, we would get occasional whiffs of propane from time to time
when in the cockpit and that clued us in that we had a leak. If the vent had
really worked, we probably wouldn't have noticed it until we needed to use
the stove and found the tank empty.

Bottom line for us is that it's really unlikely to ever be a real problem
EITHER WAY.  There is so little extra room in the propane locker, you'll
probably never accumulate enough propane in there to be a real danger. A
major leak will put more propane out than the drain would vent, and a minor
leak will vent into the cockpit and roll out the top and be dispersed (or
make the problem itself more detectable).  The real danger seems to be
having lots of propane leak into a larger enclosed space.  So is having a
vent hose traversing an enclosed space *more* risky here than no vent at
all. It might be. So much junk gets tossed into that "black hole" port aft
locker in our boat, there's some non-zero chance of a damaged hose or
cracked fitting there over time.  Especially in cold climates where water
might settle into the elbow and crack the fitting.  Who really knows... :)

But!! Let us know if that solves it for you and what you learn!

Cheers!
-Jeff Hare
#809  Woodbine II