[C320-list] America's Cup Racing

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Mon Sep 16 05:06:32 PDT 2013

This AC event & boats are just fascinating.  I have to admit that what
they're doing is so far removed from anything we do on our boat I might as
well be watching bike racing or curling.  I'd bet that when we (Americans)
have to challenge the KIWIs for the cup a few years from now, the boats and
budgets won't be in the Larry Ellison $trato$phere like this year.

But I have to say I really enjoyed the AC World Series (AC-45) racing.
Everything happens so fast here it had to open some eyes for those who never
bothered to watch the Americas Cup before, not to mention all the technology
to actually put the spectator on board and make sense of match racing for
the non-sailor.  Wonder if we'll see those foiling upwind before long.  But
50mph in a 20kt wind?  Yea, we can do that in our boat any time we want...
we just have to put it on a truck first.

Anyone here ever sailed a Moth before?

-Jeff