[C320-list] Battery charger

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Tue Sep 17 08:57:41 PDT 2013

Out of curiosity which Charles charger do you have?  How many amps?

The old flyback promariners seemed to not last too long.  Ours lasted 7 years.  Many owners replaced that with a Xantrex charger (accepting the crappy connectors on the Xantrex) and were all very happy... until those also started showing the same failures after years in service.  We replaced our ProMariner with a Charles 40 and while it's going on 6 years now I expect to have to replace it within a few years.

Others have used IOTA and Freedom, etc.  My guess is that if you had a way of really looking at the statistics, there's no good answer.  By the time you figure out which charger last the longest, you can't actually get that charger any more.  While you can decide which chargers to avoid based on early failures, I doubt you can do any better than that.

So, when I need to replace mine, I'm going to see if the current breed of Charles chargers is getting a bad rap or not.  If not, I'll get a new one (knowing that it's not at all the same internal design or build as the one I'm replacing).  If ProMariner isn't getting a bad rap, I might look at those also.  It'll come down to warranty, reputation on the actual version of the charger I'm buying.

My $.02

Cheers!
-Jeff