[C320-list] Battery Charger

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Thu Sep 19 09:19:08 PDT 2013

Since the boat has ~350AH worth of batteries, the 40A is a much better charger size.  During charge operations it'll much spend less time being "maxed out" which is a little harder on the internal components.  The fusing is probably just fine since the inline fuses would be set up for protecting against a major short, not for protecting the charger.  The wires are quite heavy and can handle the large charge currents with very little voltage drop (which is the goal in charging circuits).

With that said, we keep our boat on the dock plugged in all the time also, so really it spends most of its time in float but occasionally switching to absorption modes since we have the fridge running most of the time.

The drawback of Xantrex *in my opinion* is that they have poor DC power cable connectors.  While most chargers like ProMariner, Charles, etc. use studs with nuts/washers that take ring terminals for a secure connection,   Xantrex uses molex (I think) connectors that you stick bare wire in and tighten a screw.   So, you'll have to either use a terminal block or cut off the factory ring terminals (bad idea!).  It used to be that the diameter of wire they accept was smaller than the size that Catalina uses for battery charging cables so you'd have to trim off strands down to about an 8AWG size before it would fit.  Even if they finally increased the size of these connectors, it's a fragile connection living in storage locker where stuff can bounce around or slide up to the charger.  I'd prefer solid connections that can't be pulled out.  But this is a commentary on the installation and suitability, not the quality of the charging product which from what I can tell is on par with the rest of the field.

The best way to install the xantrex is to leave the ring terminals on and use a covered terminal block to transition from ring terminals to non-terminated wires that actually plug into the charger.  Then when this charger dies and you get a charger that has proper terminals again, you won't need to install heavy lug ring terminals that you previously cut off.  :)

So... Go with a 40A charger.  If it's a 2 battery charger, then it's really 20A per leg.  If it's a 3 battery charger then it's about 13A/battery.  The stock battery was a ProMariner flyback 30 or something that was really 10A/leg X 3.

Cheers!
-Jeff