[C320-list] Coolant Colour & Demineralised Water

Stephen Cox scox at timmin.com
Thu Sep 26 01:16:34 PDT 2013

> When my exhaust mixer elbow was cleaned out a couple of days
> ago, the mechanic also changed the coolant.
>
> My two questions are:-
>
> 1. Does it matter that the coolant he drained out was red and
> the coolant he's replaced it with it green.  The label on the
> bottle was "Zerex G-05 Formula Anti Freeze Anti-boil coolant
> concentration requires dilution"
>
> 2. I noticed after he'd topped up the coolant with tap water
> from the galley sink, that the bottle said you should use
> demineralised water.
>
> When I asked him, he said there's no difference between the
> colours (although my googling seems to indicate that red
> lasts longer?) and he said using tap or distilled water makes
> no difference (although my googling suggests that tap water
> causes corrosion).

Annie,

My reading on the internet indicates that Yanmar recommends the red/orange
over the green as there have been side issues with the green to do with the
silicates it contains.  The coolant your mechanic has put in is "low
silicate" whereas Yanmar recommend no silicate content. See
http://www.scyr.org/stellablue/Yanmar_Coolant.pdf for the advisory and
http://www.caltex.com.au/FPL%20PDS/Extended%20Life%20Coolant.pdf for the
details of the first of the recommended coolants in Australia.  One can't
help thinking the mechanic doesn't bother to read the Yanmar Advisories or
else considers himself to be more knowledgeable than Yanmar.

The two differing types should not be mixed which means when changing to a
different type you need to completely flush the system including the hot
water heater hoses and tubes.  This should be done with distilled water
rather than tap water.  Having said that, Sydney water is pretty good so may
not be the issue it could be in some areas.

If you are looking for an easy, cost effective source of distilled water,
Woolworths carry Moore's Distilled Water in 6 litre containers for around
$5.  You will find it in the drinks/juice section.  This is the preferred
steam distilled rather than the arguably problematic demineralised water you
so often find in most places.

Stephen Cox
Tegwen #1141