[C320-list] GFO Dripless Packing Size - and how-to for site search

Robert Sloat resloat at comcast.net
Sat Apr 12 06:51:38 PDT 2014

Brian-I am tempted to get the 3/16 “ next time I order per Jeff’s previous comments.  Even though the measurement is 1/4” 2 rings fit in the first year for me and a third ring was squeezed in the next  year.  With 3/16” 3 rings initially and maybe that would work fine.  I had basically no leakage the first year after 2 1/4 “ rings (a table spoon or two or water below the fitting after an hour of motoring and none when sitting at the slip).  After 3 rings went in the next year, zero dripping, with the nut tightened a little beyond hand tight and the fitting never heated up beyond a few degrees above ambient water temperature when in use.  The prop shaft on inspection every spring is smooth with no burnishing marks or wear under the packing.

Bob Sloat
Savannah #894 (2002)
On Apr 10, 2014, at 2:02 PM, Amiraults Family <amiraults at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Thanks guys. I am tempted to order both to see what will fit. As a boat
> project this is very inexpensive.
>

> Brian
>
> 797 Waltzing Bear, too
>

> ---