[C320-list] Yanmar trouble

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at bex.net
Wed Aug 6 19:29:32 PDT 2014

Don't know if the Yanmar fuel system is fed by gravity as is the case with
my Westerbeke engine....but that could explain how you ended up with air in
the system.

I had a fuel pump that was not working due to a loose power wire that had
parted. I did not know that at the time my engine quit working but that was
and when the fuel tank went to around a quarter of a tank, or around the
level of the fuel pump, and the engine stopped. I thought that my fuel gauge
was faulty and had to dock under sail. After adding only a gallon fuel, the
engine fired right up! Come to find out that after I noticed the engine
running but I could no longer hear the fuel pump clicking, I was motived to
learn why the fuel pump was not working. I ran down a parted hot wire to the
fuel pump that was spliced when the fuel pump was replaced a few years
earlier.

 Just saying that you may want to check to see if your fuel pump clicks
periodically while your engine is running, or at least that's what happens
on a Westerbeke. On my engine I can test to see if the fuel pump is working
by by-passing the oil sender switch as when there is no oil pressure, the
fuel pump relay shuts down the fuel pump. However, if I bypass the oil
sender switch by connecting the two spade type connectors together, then the
fuel pump will run when I turn on the key.

In your case, perhaps adding fuel to the system allows the engine to be fed
by gravity providing the injection system with just enough fuel to be placed
under pressure to feed the cylinders and the engine runs. However, once the
fuel pump (serving as lift pump) no longer works, the level of the fuel in
the tank may determine how long the engine will be gravity fed.  After
fixing that loose fuel pump wire I noticed an increase in engine power and
acceleration because the fuel pump served to move more fuel to the injection
side of the fuel system where the fuel is placed under high pressure to feed
the nozzles.

If you are having a fuel pump issue, that could explain why you had air in
the system before the fuel was added to the tank and then the fuel found its
way to the injector and it fired up.

Rick My-Ria
95 320 #277