[C320-list] Cabin sole finish

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 8 13:42:46 PDT 2014

During the open boat show at the C320 Regatta, there were a couple of people
interested in our cabin sole that I had refinished, maybe around 2005 or 6.
I couldn't remember the name of the finish I used so I looked it up once
back at home. It is "Waterlox Original Sealer/Finish."

At the time, Optimum Sole seemed to be the product of choice; but, I don't
like the heavy appearance of polyurethane type finishes so I was looking for
something else. I had good results at home with a Minwax (I think) product
so I called Minwax. They told me that the product I inquired about was not
appropriate for marine applications. They actually recommended Waterlox. I
visited the Waterlox.com web site and called the company. Waterlox is a tung
oil based finish that goes on smoothly without the heavy coat common to
polyurethane finishes. It was easy to apply following the instructions, did
not tend to bubble as do some varnish products, and dries to a near clear
finish with depth and no surface reflection. What you see is the underlying
wood, not the surface of the finish. It seems not to be slippery under bare
wet feet. After 8 years, it still looks good. So, I'm happy to recommend it
for cabin soles. It is not, however, appropriate for exterior use as it has
no UV inhibitors.

Warren and Pattie Updike

1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62