[C320-list] Black smoke with 3GM30F

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Sun Aug 17 17:56:04 PDT 2014

The 3gm30 can run for all day at 3000rpm if the exhaust system is clear of buildup.

That is pretty much the recommended operating point for this engine. At this point, the exhaust and oil temp are optimal and you're running at the best part of the the power curve, so as long the temp is in range don't be afraid of working a diesel at its operating point.

Guaranteed you aren't wearing it out or harming anything. Instead you're keeping the exhaust clean, and burning off the moisture in the oil which helps keep the engine in top form.

We have a similar Yanmar engine in our tractor and it has a green line on the tach at 3000 rpm where it is designed to run whenever you're operating it.

I think the max rpm is around 3800. 85% of that is 3200 and that is a bit high to run for extended periods of time. Ours starts to heat up more at that speed.

Jeff Hare