[C320-list] Some instrument advice out there?

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Thu Aug 21 07:04:26 PDT 2014

I'll add that after two seasons I couldn't be happier with the Raymarine
linear drive setup, except for a few minor issues having to do with the
control unit software: I don't like the "rolling road" graphical
animation on the control unit when I'm in "track" mode. It's just silly,
and does not show me the compass or wind information I get in other
modes. And certain "pattern" modes are only available if you configure
the unit to think it is installed on a fishing boat, in which case the
wind modes disappear. Don't they know that sometimes people go fishing
from a sailboat when the wind dies? (The patterns could also be helpful
in a MOB or emergency search situation.)

The linear drive itself is terrific. It is almost silent and very
smooth. I like the fact that I have an independent steering solution. It
drives the boat much better than the older ST4000+ unit it replaced,
with none of the "snake wake" problems I had with the older unit when in
track mode.

Scott Thompson
Surprise, #653