[C320-list] led bulbs

Doug Treff doug at treff.us
Tue Dec 30 09:41:49 PST 2014

A while ago, I posted the following report to the C320 list when I
replaced my bulbs. I went with incandescent, but you might be able to
use my guide to help you divine the right LED bulbs and save you from
making two trips up the mast.

On my particular boat, which is a 196 model (hull #350), I have the Aqua
Signal steaming light fixture.
It's this one:
http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=461&ParentCat=335

For the steaming light, it takes the following bulb:
http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=151
These are the special "Dimpled ended" bulbs. Very hard to find. I went
to three local stores before I found one. One store manager told me he
could order the old style but no longer stocks it because they aren't
selling enough. He did "helpfully" try to interest me in buying a newer
masthead fixture, which I declined...  ;-)

The deck light was the bayonet type halogen bulb shown here:
http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=192

As for the anchor light, my ORIGINAL fixture took the same bulb as the
steaming light (with the dimpled ends). But as I said, it was crumbling
and had to be replaced. I replaced it with an identical Aqua Signal
fixture from West Marine. Here's the fixture I bought:
http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=286&ParentCat=335
But since 2011, Aqua Signal has been making their fixtures to use the
pointed end bulbs, which is apparently the new style. See the special
note on the CatalinaDirect page linked above for the anchor light.

So, BOTTOM LINE: If your C320 is pre-1998, and has the original
fixtures, the bulbs listed above will work. Sometime in late 1998 or
1999, they switched to the Hella fixture pictured here:
http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=1037&ParentCat=335

If you're 1999 or newer, you'll need to do your own research on the
Hella fixture to see what bulbs it needs. I have no idea because it does
not apply to me. I suggest you get a good camera with a telephoto lens
and snap a picture of the steaming light fixture and compare the the
styles listed in CatalinaDirect to figure out what brand you have.

Remember when handling the halogen deck light bulbs, you should not
touch the bulb surface with your hands. The oils in your hand will coat
the bulb and cause premature burn-out.

Good luck!
---
Doug Treff