[C320-list] keels

Andrew Santangelo andrew_santangelo at mac.com
Mon Feb 10 11:06:54 PST 2014

I have done both - swapped keels AND moved "Dawn Treader" all over creation.

I went from a wing to a fin, but it is a similar process either way.  I cannot recall the costs (I did it in the late 90s), but I want to say it was around $7,000 for the process.  Key steps:

* Ship yard removed the keel
* Dealer (Sail Place) had the new keel shipped to them on one of the trucks bringing up a new boat.
* As part of the deal with Catalina the old keel was exchanged for the new keel
* The new keel was attached and the bottom faired.

Shipping the boat is also not a trivial process.  There is the removal of almost everything off the mast, packing and securing everything, and if a fin keeled boat you need to remove the wheel and lower the pedestal.  You can do a lot on your own, but there are still real costs.  Shipping "Dawn Treader" each way to San Francisco and back to Holland (MI), was about $7500 a leg.  Add $2k - $5k for haul out, prep, launch and commissioning.

So shipping your C320 AND swapping the keels could easily run you over $20,000  one way.

Andrew Santangelo

C320 "Dawn Treader"
Holland, MI

J22 "Blitzkrieg"