[C320-list] Soaked Cockpit Cushions

Mike Ott wmo48 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 27 12:16:42 PST 2014

We solved the zipper issue with our soaked cockpit cushions.  We tried everything suggested and then some to free up the stuck zipper slides with no results.  They would not move so we attacked the problem from the other end.  With a beautiful tool, called a seam-ripper (available for about $5 at any fabric store) we opened the seams around the non-slider end and pulled out the zipped zipper end.  By pulling the zipper sides apart the zipper opened without a problem, so we could pull out the cushions. After spraying down the insides of the covers and cushion material with mild bleach solution we let the beautiful NC sun do the rest.  We bought new zipper sliders from Sailrite (YKK 4.5 mm slider $.20 each) and after watching the video supply by Allan (thanks Allan) we were able to restart the zippers using the new sliders.  I cut off the pulls on the old sliders and now the new slider just butt up against the old slider base and is almost hidden by
 the vinyl cover flap. With a little hand stitching on the non-slider end of the zipper, we tucked in the end and we were done.  You could hardly notice the reworked zipper and besides the zipper side is against the back of the cockpit anyway.  The whole operation cost about $12, mostly for postage from Sailrite for the sliders, and 1/2 day of labor.
Now if I can just remember bring them in after sailing ...

Mike Ott
'Amanda Lu'