[C320-list] Let's keep the list useful to many

Doug Treff doug at treff.us
Mon Jan 20 08:22:00 PST 2014

Before we dive into the technical and logistical matters, I would like
to state that the list has shown me enough value to stick it out through
the current email storm of event replies, etc. And for those of us in
the Northern Hemisphere - at LEAST we can talk about sailing even if our
boats are on the hard for the next few months!

I think what really needs to be done is for "events" to be done through
an invitation based system where people can respond on a web site rather
than here in the forum. It's impossible to get everyone to take the time
to change the "To" address on their responses before sending. There are
just too many people of various levels of knowledge with email and some
just don't understand what they are doing wrong. A perfect example of a
web based e-vite system is http://www.evite.com/. Maybe we can try that
one next time. It's free and easy to use.

Encouraging those people who are complaining to move to the digest type
subscription will only make things worse because when they reply to a
digest email, it will copy the entire day's digest into the reply. And
don't even tell me that they will remember to remove all the quoted
text... we all know how it will end.   ;-)

As has been pointed out many times, a forum based system will suit many
of the more savvy people but we will lose some who just prefer email.
Unless the forum has an email gateway for those people we will lose some
of them and their collective knowledge. It has also been pointed out
that the questions are answered more quickly when they arrive in
everyone's inbox, versus a forum where people who are out of season
might not even log in for weeks at a time to check their messages.

Those of you struggling with the flood of emails might be well served to
look at mail filtering rules to move the c-320 messages into a
sub-folder under your inbox. I belong to many email lists and that is
how I have my mail filtered. It really keeps my inbox clear. Also - many
email systems allow you to sort your messages by thread so all these
replies can be grouped together. PROBLEM SOLVED! There are too many
different email clients and web based systems to provide instructions
here, but most of the good ones now have those features. Take a minute
and search for them. Google is your friend.

Rather than lash out at everyone for sending too many emails, take a few
moments to learn something new about your email system and it will make
your life easier in all aspects, not just for the C-320 list.

Just my $0.02...

Doug Treff
doug at treff.us