[C320-list] packing gland and winter

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 22 13:39:57 PST 2014

Bill, just in case you are not familiar with the packing gland, there is a
lock nut aft of the big nut. Be sure to back-off the lock nut first or you
will never get the big nut to move. With everything so cold, you could have
a hard time tightening the packing nut; but, it's worth a try. If you get it
to move maybe just a 1/4 turn will be enough for now. If you don't have a
history on repacking the gland, you probably should plan on doing it in the
spring. If you don't want to bother with removing all the old packing, just
a one new ring. For a good explanation of how to do this, go to
www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box. It's quite clear how to do it.

Warren & Pattie Updike
1994 C320 #62 "Warr De Mar"