[C320-list] Engine stall only under load

Kaare Wold sailor3952 at charter.net
Thu Jan 30 12:37:08 PST 2014

At the Strictly Sail Show, in Chicago, we stopped at the Yanmar booth.  A
representative from Mack Boring and another technician explained how a
diesel loves heat (unlike a gas engine).  They said you can't hurt the
Yanmar if you ran it wide open all day.  I cringe at the thought, but the
point is, idling and slow running is the worst thing for the engine.  They
both advised that a 80% throttle is recommended for normal motoring.  I
guess we "baby" ours too much.  The technique to crack the throttle prior to
shutting down is good.  The entire discussion is all about carbon build up
and ways to prevent or minimize it.  The exhaust elbow is a common culprit
in poor performance.  They took a flashlight and showed us how to examine
the divider plate inside the elbow.  If that plate is corroded, scaley or
deteriorated, it is time to change it.
Our 660 hr engine runs fine, but we will be more aware of increasing rpms to
reduce carbon buildup.
Kaare & Mary Wold   Sheet Music  #945