[C320-list] Honda Generator

Stephen Cox scox at timmin.com
Wed Jul 2 09:25:22 PDT 2014

> If the generator is placed near the mast could you use the
> regular 30' dock power cord which is 30 amp rated with the
> twist lock, I know the cord would be a bit long, but it
> should fit the generator and boat connections and act as if
> the vessel was plugged into shore power.
> I just purchased the vessel in Jan 2014 and am enjoying the
> site immensely.
> I would like to purchase the Honda EU2000i this weekend for
> the fourth, just making sure I buy the right unit.

I certainly have used my shore lead to use a Honda generator in this way.
Be careful where you place the generator with respect to the breeze and any
cabin openings.  You don't want the exhaust drifting into the cabin or even
the cockpit.  I use my generator when swinging at anchor and place it at an
angle on the swim platform at the rear with the exhaust pointed out (and a
line tied onto the pushpit railing so the generator can't migrate
overboard).  The generator hasn't moved or even looked like going over and
this position minimises the noise in the rest of the boat.

Stephen Cox
Tegwen #1141