[C320-list] Flooded vs. AGM batteries

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 4 13:38:24 PDT 2014

Wow! I thought I tended to be wordy. Still, good info for those in the throes of a battery decision.

When I bought my last pair of 4Ds, I, too, did some investigation. The formula you cited gives an approximation of AH. I was originally told by a technician at Interstate that the SRM-4D is 195AH. Later, I got the following reply from another at Interstate:
	Warren,
	"The Ah (0f the SRM-4D) is actually 234ah per battery. Take the RC total, which is 390 x .6 = 234Ah. I sent you a copy of the RC with the ampere loads attached. The peukert is 1.19 see how this works for you. If you need anything else, drop me a line.
	Thanks, Jeff Barron"

 As you know, the designation "4D" is a form factor and has nothing to do with what is inside. Most commercial 4D batteries are truck batteries intended for starting and deep cycle and so are a compromise of both purposes. The SRM-4D from Interstate is a "Deeper" cycle battery and hence the heavier weight, 120lbs. I've used them for 10 years and they work for me. We are cruisers and are out for weeks at a time.

Another point made by R.C. Collins (Main Sail on catalinaowners.com) is that if you are using an Ah counter (battery monitor) and I am, it is prudent to adjust the AH setting in the monitor each year to compensate for the loss of capacity as the battery ages. He suggests reducing the AH by 5% after the first year, then by 3% each subsequent year; and, being sure to often synchronize your monitor with a known fully charged bank.

Re. installation: Having bought my SRM-4Ds at our marina, they delivered them to the boat, on the hard or in the water. With a bad back, I can't lift them by myself; but, is easy with another person. All I do is lift them to the sole of the salon on a towel. Then, using a block and tackle rig hung from the boom (with a topping lift) I haul them out of the cabin onto the dock or down to the ground. The new ones come onboard the same way. Easy to do. Make sure no one is underneath.

I don't think there is any question that wet cells are the best value the for house bank. They are fine for starting and house loads. That said, there are other reasons why people choose AGMs and I don't disparage their choice. But, for me, the wet cells do the job. Maintenance and monitoring are the keys to long battery life.

Warren and Pattie Updike
1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62