[C320-list] AC unit condensation drain line

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at bex.net
Fri Jul 25 15:12:09 PDT 2014

Depending on where your AC unit is located may dictate your options. I had
my 16K AC/Heat unit placed in the port locker so as to facilitate an easy
installation and replacement in the future. Since we would use the AC only
while dockside, I had the condensate pan drain directly to the stern  in its
own exit fitting alongside the propane locker drain ( be sure the condensate
pan exit barb is higher than the desired location of the stern exit.

The installer wanted to initially use a venture valve to vacuum the
condensate from the pan but I shot that option down after doing some
research about the  flooding consequences of a blocked venturi valve since
the AC pump runs several gallons a minute. Next, the installer wanted to
route the condensate to the bilge but having water standing in the bilge
with the pump cycling was not a desirable option. The installer then even
tried to get away with tapping into the propane locker drain line, until I
explained the potential dangers. When he understood the reasoning behind the
best fit option for his customer,  he crawled thru the aft cabin port stern
locker access and installed the drain hose...

If one considers a direct drain to the stern know that it is important to
place an inline  ball valve next to the condensate pan to avoid having an
open line so near the waterline; always close the valve when underway or
leaving the boat unattended.  Also, found it helpful to use an inline vacuum
(squeeze) bulb and a about three feet of plastic hose to drain out the
condensate that remains in the pan before we leave the dock after using the
AC. I simply used zip ties to position one end of the hose to the bottom of
the condensate pan and with 3 feet of hose and the squeeze bulb on the end
of the hose, I simple pull it from the port locker and pump the remaining
condensate to the helm deck. Results: no condensate in the bilge and no
condensate left in the AC drain pan that may become a nasty brew.

Rick
My-Ria
1995 C320 #277