[C320-list] Refrigerator drain

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 27 13:05:54 PDT 2014

The fridge drains directly into the bilge. Four hoses in bilge: fridge,
engine room drain under pan, bilge pump out, manual pump out. These early
hulls are different than later models.
The water you are seeing may be from several sources. I fought with this on
and off for years: leak from head shower/sink hose under sink, leak from
overfilling water tanks, water sloshing from port to starboard getting
caught under holding tank, etc. etc.  Mostly fresh water leaks. A really
poor design on these early hulls.
One problem is that the bilge spaces under the table have no outlet. Water
can be trapped in there and damage your sole. When I refinished the sole, I
"painted" the underside (plywood) with unfilled epoxy to seal the wood and
protect it. The only way I found to remove the water so trapped is to lift
the sole and pump/sponge it out. You definitely do not want to leave it
there. Also, water that may come from under the "V" berth will drain under
the sole and be caught fwd of the mast as there is no drain aft from there,
at least on our #62. It is possible for water under the "V" berth to follow
the water hose along the port side and end up under the galley floor as
you've found. This space is between the liner and the hull and is a bit*& to
get out. You'll find an access hole about 5 or 6" round under the galley
cabinet. Some owners have installed an inspection port in the galley floor
under the ladder for easier access.
All of the above is: 1- why I don't use the paddle wheel speed transducer,
and 2- am very careful to not overfill the water tanks. We've not had water
intrusion in these spaces for several seasons.

Warren and Pattie Updike
1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62